Friday 27 March 2009

Quote for the Week (sort of)

Earlier on today I suddenly remembered that some time ago I stored a link in my favourites to a blog that David Bordwell wrote on the film In the City of Sylvia, which I wrote about here. I didn't read Bordwell's piece at the time, as I wanted to see the film first. Although I'm actually providing a link rather than an excerpt, I wanted to put it forward as my 'Quote for the Week' as I think it presents some very interesting thoughts on the film.

I have to say, it took me years to warm to Bordwell. For whatever reason, I never really clicked with his book Film Art: An Introduction (which he co-wrote with his wife Kristin Thompson) when I was a student. Since then, however, I've become a great admirer of his work. His blogs are never less than interesting, and his book on Dreyer, written almost 30 years ago, remains a seminal text to this day.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: