Tuesday 18 June 2013

Mobile Impressionism

Before finally upgrading to a smartphone last year, the photographer in me always thought it would be cool to have a camera phone. But then I got my BlackBerry, and I realised…well, I realised that the images are just a bit shit – especially when you zoom in. There's no optical zoom, just a digital option which crops the final file and adds a lot of noise. Add to that no control of exposure and the difficulty of actually taking and framing images on the phone, and the whole thing began to seem rather pointless. But then, one day a few weeks ago, I was bored and waiting for my girlfriend to finish picking something up from her office. So I started taking some photos. The images weren't very good, but there was something about these two pictures which struck me: 

Somewhere, in among the blur and the grain, there was a kind of beauty. The noise in the images reminded me of the brushstrokes of the impressionist painters. When I was a kid, I told my parents that I didn't like impressionism because the images were 'scruffy'. It was this 'scruffiness' that I was now responding to in these two photographs. 
 
With this in mind, I decided to embark on a photography project. A series of photographs taken on my BlackBerry, on full zoom, highlighting the 'impressionism' (the 'scruffiness') of the images generated. What follows below is the result of this project. 
 




























 



 
 
 

 

No comments: